Thursday, February 18, 2010

Baked Potato Soup

I chose this particular soup for our formal dinner night because I wanted a heavier soup that I could cook in the crock pot. This is the recipe that I came up with after adapting it from cdkitchen.com. It was a big hit - probably my favorite part of the dinner (except the molten chocolate cake, of course)!









4-6 large baking potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
1 onion, chopped
1 quart chicken broth
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup butter
2 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. dried basil or italian herb seasoning
4-8 slices of bacon, fried and diced
1 c. cream
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
3 tbs. parsley
1 c. sour cream

Combine the first 9 ingredients in a large (4 to 6.5 quart) crock pot and cook on low for 8 hours. After 8 hours, stir in the cream, cheese, and sour cream, slightly mashing the potatoes. Garnish with parsley and more cheese and bacon if desired.


0 comments: