Thursday, April 14, 2011

Homemade Poptarts!

Novelty.  I'm not sold on the current state of this recipe, but simply the idea of a homemade pop-tart is solid in my book!  I plan to play with the ingredients a little more and see if I can create a slightly sweeter and flakier dough.

Thanks to Heavenly Homemakers for the recipe!



3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup melted butter
1 cup plain yogurt
About 5 ounces of 100% fruit jelly or jam (I used my homemade blackberry)
Begin by mixing the flour, salt, butter and yogurt. 
Knead the dough just a little bit to make it nice and workable.  Roll out the dough on a large, well floured surface.  Use a knife to cut the dough into the desired poptart size you would like.  
Place about a 1/2 teaspoon of jelly on 1/2 of the dough rectangles.  Spread the jelly around, leaving the edges free.
Top each jelly-coated rectangle with a plain one.  Seal the two together using a fork.  Bake in a single layer at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes, until they are golden brown.
*I put the entire batch in the freezer and then reheat them in the toaster - delicious afternoon snack!

0 comments: