Thursday, October 13, 2011

Tollhouse Pie

Picture from verybestbaking.com

The four-year journey of graduate school has begun, and I find myself completely powerless to make Mac's life any easier.  I can't create more time in his day, help him study biochemistry or pharmaceutics, keep his clothes dry on the rainy bike ride, convince him that his six hours of work are just too much, or accomplish anything else remotely helpful.  What I can do, though, is bake.  And bake I will, until his taste buds are satisfied.

He asks for tollhouse pie, I make tollhouse pie.

Enough said.

You should make it too.

Ingredients:

2 eggs
1/2 c. white sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar, packed
1/2 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 c. butter, softened (I think melted and cooled would be a better option here)
1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 c. chopped nuts (I only used 1/2 c. and only put it in half the pie)

1 - 9" unbaked pie crust

Directions:

In a large bowl, beat the eggs until foamy.  Beat in the sugars and flour, then beat in the butter.  (I used softened butter, but I really think this will be smoother if you use melted butter.  Just be sure to cool it completely, otherwise it will change the texture of the final pie).  Stir in the chocolate chips and nuts, then spoon batter evenly in the unbaked pie crust.  Bake at 325 degrees for 55-60 minutes (in my oven's case, only about 40).  You may also want to cover the pie crust for part of the bake time so that it doesn't get too brown.  Just a thought.  You also may want to serve this warm with vanilla ice cream.  That's a command.


0 comments: