Saturday, February 2, 2013

Singapore Noodles


I love curry, but often cannot enjoy it because of a coconut allergy. This dish was the perfect combo of texture, variety, and flavor without making my throat swell shut! If you like curry, you are sure to love this dish!

When I set out to make this recipe, I failed to check my cupboard to ensure I had all the ingredients. Of course, the one thing I was missing was the flavor booster... curry powder. Turns out curry powder is just a blend of other spices (maybe you already knew that). So, I made my own curry powder, and then had some left over for the next curry dish I make!

If you need to make your own Curry powder, just mix together the following:
2 tsp. ground coriander
2 tsp. cumin
2 tsp. ground tumeric
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. black pepper

Now for the main event!

Ingredients:
1/4 pound thin rice noodles (I used half a package of Thai House Rice Noodles)
1 Tbsp. mild curry powder
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 Tbsp plus 2 tsps peanut oil (I just used vegetable oil)
4 scallions, green part only, cut into 1" strips
1 tsp. minced fresh ginger
1/2 pound small shrimp, peeled and deveined (I used chicken instead, because I already had some cooked that needed to be used)
1 small red pepper, cut into thin vertical strip
1 medium red onion, cut into thin crescents
6 snow peas, cut lengthwise into thin strips (I doubled!)
2 large eggs, well-beaten

Directions:

1. In a large bowl, cover the noodles with boiling water. Soak for 20 minutes, drain and set aside.

2. In a small bowl, combine the curry powder, sugar, salt, and broth.

3. Heat a wok (or large skillet) over high heat. Add 1 TBSP of oil and stir fry the scallions and ginger until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add in the chicken (or shrimp) and cook for about 2 minutes. Turn the contents of the pan into a bowl.

4. Return the pan to the heat. Add 1 tsp of the oil. Stir-fry the red pepper, onion, and snow peas until they are bright and crisp-tender, 2 minutes. Add to the meat bowl.

5. Wipe out the pan and return it to the heat. Add the remaining oil. Add the eggs and rotate the pan to make a thin pancake. Add the noodles. Stir and chop until the eggs are mixed with the noodles. Add the curry mixture, the cooked meat, and vegetables to the pan. Cook about 3 minutes.


0 comments: