Friday, January 9, 2015

2014: The Year of No-Fuss Cooking {Balsamic Drumsticks}

2015: It's a new year, with new beginnings, and hopefully many new posts! The sudden sabbatical from the blogworld is the culprit of high ambitions to bust out a Master's degree - biting off a little more than I could chew. We survived 2014 on freezer meals, salad, and chips and salsa.


The most efficient way to ensure that we would eat during the semseter was to spend my breaks marathoning through slow cooker freezer meals. I like to gather recipes from a variety of blogs found on Pinterest, plus one of my favorite cookbooks, "Can I Freeze It?" by Susie Theodorou. I actually remembered that we need to eat more than dinner, and assembled some breakfast sandwiches as well. Mister also loves his sweet treats, so I made a massive batch of Monster Cookies, which freeze beautifully. To kick off my return to the kitchen, I will be sharing a series of these no-nonsense recipes that got us through our busy year of studying.


First up is Balsamic Drumsticks, a recipe adapted from another blog, "Who Needs a Cape?" This was one of Mac's favorites, and definitely a breeze to throw together. It's delicious on a bed of rice, or accompanying a spinach salad.

Ingredients:
8 Chicken Drumsticks
3 T. olive oil
1/2 c. Balsamic vinegar
3 T. soy sauce
1 T. honey
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes

Directions:

Place drumsticks in a gallon size freezer bag. In a small bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients. Pour mixture into bag with drumstciks, seal, and squeeze to coat drumsticks evenly. Let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours, or freeze for up to one month. When ready, dump contents of the bag into a slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours.

0 comments: