Saturday, February 14, 2015

"Hulk" Muffins

We spend a significant amount of our free time around our friends' toddlers, and there is always a common theme: picky eaters. Mamas out there, just know you are not alone... every child goes through a phase in which every healthy option is met with "I don't like that!" 


So, I set out on a quest to make our godson eat his vegetables. Yes, I know, I'm mean. I tried to force feed him carrots the other day, and he wasn't even enticed with ranch. That's when I knew  I needed to up the ante. I knew if I could hide the veggies in a baked good, he would down them, as long as it tasted nothing like a vegetable. And that brings us to "hulk" muffins. They're seriously magic. I felt like a champion when I watched him down a mini-muffin in one bite and promptly ask for another one. Victory!

I adapted this recipe from superhealthykids.com, by adding a protein booster (chia seeds), eliminating the white sugar, and adding some more veggies. I'm sure you could use a variety of whatever veggies you have on hand, you just need a total of 2 1/2 cups of produce puree. Also, you can change the name of these muffins to whatever will entice your kiddo - the Hulk or all things scary/monstrous are what works for little man!


Ingredients:
  • 1 c. whole wheat flour
  • 1 c. all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 c. honey
  • 4 tbsp unsalted butter
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 c. unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 Tbsp. chia seeds
  • 1 medium carrot
  • 1 ripe banana
  • 1 small apple, cored
  • 1 c. baby spinach
  • 1/2 c. steamed broccoli
  • 1/2  c. steamed green beans
  • 1/4 c. plain yogurt
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
  2. Mix together dry ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.
  3. Beat together the honey, butter, eggs and vanilla in a large bowl.
  4. Combine the applesauce, carrot, apple and spinach in a powerful blender (I use my Blendtec) or a food processor. Blend until smooth. 
  5. Add the steamd vegetables and banana to the puree and pulse until smooth.
  6. Combine the puree and yogurt into the butter mixture and beat until mixed.
  7. Finally, add the dry ingredients and mix just until combined and wet.
  8. Scoop the mixture into a prepared muffin pan
  9. Bake them in a 375 degree oven for about 20 minutes for regular size muffins, and 350 for 20 minutes for mini-muffins. Bake until the tops are slightly brown and a toothpick comes out clean or they bounce back when you touch them with your finger.

These freeze great! Put them in a freezer-safe bag and freeze for up to 3 months.

0 comments: