Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Orange-Berry Bread


I made up this recipe... it's the first one I've ever actually made up.  Pretty excited about it!


Zest & Juice of one navel orange
1 Tbl. powdered sugar
1/4 c. butter, melted
1/2 c. raw cane sugar (or white sugar)
2 eggs
1/4 c. plain yogurt
1/3 c. buttermilk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 2/3 c. whole-wheat flour (or use part white)
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/4 c. frozen berries (I used a mixture of blackberries, marionberries, and blueberries)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix 1 tsp orange zest and 1 Tbl. orange juice with powdered sugar and set aside (this is your Orange glaze).  In a bowl, whisk together the remaining zest and juice, butter, sugar, eggs, yogurt, buttermlik, and vanilla.  In a separate bowl, whisk together dry ingredients and make a well in the center.  Pour the milk mixture into the well and mix until equally wet.  Fold in berries.  Pour batter into a 9x5 loaf pan and bake for 45-60 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.  Once you pull it out, make numerous holes with the toothpick and quickly pour the orange glaze evenly over the top, letting it drip down in the holes.  Let cool in pan, then enjoy!



2 comments:

Mrs.Wade said...

you're my hero! would you make any changes?

Mikaela said...

Well, I actually used more sugar than the recipe says, but I thought it was a bit too sweet. I also only used 1/2 an orange, and thought it could use it all. So, the changes are in it. I might also increase the buttermilk to 1/2 cup, it was a tad dry and also increase the flour to 2 cups... maybe.