Monday, May 4, 2009

Spinach and Feta Pita Bake

This was delicious... obviously, otherwise I wouldn't be posting it.  But, anyways, I made my own pita bread (using the same recipe as I did for our Thai Chicken Pita wraps), and then just chopped up all the veggies and spread on top!  We also made a change by adding about 1/2 cup cooked and chopped chicken to the recipe.  Chicken was seasoned with fresh parsley and rosemary from our herb garden.

Ingredients:

4-6 pitas (I used 4 large ones)
1 (6 oz.) tub sun-dried tomato pesto (I used 1/2 a tub of regular pesto, and next time, I will make my own)
2 roma tomatoes, chopped
1 bunch spinach, rinsed and chopped
4 fresh mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup feta cheese
2 Tbs. grated Parmesan cheese
3 Tbs. olive oil (a little less would do fine)
ground black pepper to taste

Directions:

Spread pesto on one side of each pita, and place them on a baking sheet (pesto side up).  Top with tomatoes, spinach, mushrooms, cheeses, and chicken.  Drizzle with olive oil and season with pepper.  Back for 12 minutes at 350 degrees or until pitas are crisp.  Cut into quarters and serve.

One more thing... I think this would make an excellent appetizer for a party.  My plan is to use mini pitas or crackers with the toppings, kind of like bruschetta.  Yum yum!  

**Also, we discovered that this does not make good leftovers.  We suggest chopping up enough veggies for what you will eat in one sitting, then use the left over pitas and bake for your next meal with fresh-cut toppings.  The oil just kind of soaked the pitas and microwaving made everything soggy.

0 comments: