Monday, August 9, 2010

Slow cooker Minestrone

I was told recently that I'm bad at updating my blog... it's true, I won't deny it.  However terrible I am at consistenly updating it, this is my attempt at starting afresh...

This weekend I had the amazing blessing of seeing my three best friends all in one place!  It is a rare occurrence that happens only once every six months or so... it was such a treat to be able to host them and enjoy our yummy soup and rosemary bread.  This hearty crockpot dish is satisfying any time of the year!  It's easy to cut up all the veggies and cook the pasta the night before and then just throw everything in the morning.

Ingredients:
3-4 c. chicken broth
2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes
1 (15 oz) can kidney beans (red or white)
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 small red onion, chopped
1 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. italian herb seasoning
2 bay leaves
salt and pepper
2 c. cooked pasta (we used whole wheat macaroni, but any small noodle will do)
1 medium zucchini, chopped
2 c. coarsely chopped spinach
grated parmesan cheese
Basil sprigs, if desired for garnishing

Directions:

Combine broth, tomatoes, beans, carrots, celery, onion, and herbs in a slow cooker.  Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.  Add in pasta, zucchini and spinach for the last 30 minutes. Remove bay leaves and serve with parmesan cheese.

0 comments: